Wednesday, August 1, 2007

That Sound You Were Hearing Last Week...


...was the sound of millions and millions of pages of the latest Harry Potter book being turned.
My son Jeremy flew from Detroit to Seoul, Korea last Thursday. He said he counted 27 Harry Potter books being read on the trip.
He himself finished reading it as I drove him to Chicago. I'm the only member of the family who is HP Ignorant. But I do enjoy the flame wars going on among Christians as to Harry's influence and True Meaning. Here are three reviews I found supportive: this from Mercatornet, and this from the Boar's Head Tavern, and this REALLY GOOD ONE from Town Hall

2 comments:

Bob son of Bob said...

i love watching all the local pagans go on about how wonderful harry potter is...and then realize all the biblical themes in it and get angry.

Bruce Gee said...

First, your name: it needs to be "Bob son of Bob son of Bob...". Then it'll be like some sort of MC Escher painting, a one-point perspective into infinity...

But your point is a great one! I hadn't thought about it from that point of view, the name of my blog notwithstanding. Do tell: where can I read this stuff and how much angst is there??? I mean, that's better than the Christians who condemn it for having pagan content and then doing a double-take when they realize it has biblical themes and then...